All rising eighth graders are required to read Dead End in Norvelt by Jack Gantos over the summer. The required assignment for this novel is due by Monday, August 9th. That assignment is:
The other reading assignment for rising eighth graders will be from a book of their choosing. The following links will have the novel choices and the assignment needs. The due date is Monday, August 9th, at the Back to School Bash.
- Novel Choices and Assignment Details
- Student Copy of the One Page Response
- One Page Response Directions
- Sample of a One Page Response
- One Page Response Rubric
If you have any questions, please email Anne Plott, eighth grade Language Arts teacher, at email@example.com.
Summer Math Packet
In preparation for another successful start to a new school year, your child is expected to review 7th grade essential math skills by completing all lessons assigned to him/her in MobyMax.
Our goal is that each student has mastered the skills that we deem essential at the completion of their present year in school. Therefore, the lessons assigned are a review and a way for students to show what they have mastered. We encourage your child to work each problem with great effort. If your child finds an essential skill difficult, please consider extra instruction this summer and working more problems pertaining to the skill.
Please have your child complete the MobyMax lessons with no guidance and no calculators. A score of 80% or higher must be earned to complete each lesson and then move on to the next lesson assigned.
MobyMax Summer Math Assignment Information:
- Students will login with their same username and password that they used during the school year. Contact Mr. Allen Webb at firstname.lastname@example.org if login assistance is needed.
- Specific lessons are assigned to all students.
- Students receive instant feedback with each lesson.
- Videos and hints are available to help with instruction.
- Parents can review their child’s progress by signing-in as a parent using their child’s username and password.
- Teachers are able to view the progress made and when a student completes a lesson.
- If a student scores below 80% on a lesson, they will automatically be assigned a similar lesson. Once 80% or higher has been earned the next lesson will be available for working.
- All students will earn a math grade based on his/her completion of the MobyMax lessons.
- Due to different learning styles, the amount of time that will be required per student may vary. We highly recommend students set aside time each week to work through these skills.
- It is expected that each student will complete all lessons as his/her summer assignment by 11:59 p.m. Sunday, August 8th.
- For Moby Max directions, please click HERE.
National History Day
All eighth graders will complete a National History Day project during their eighth grade year that may be chosen to represent St. Luke School at the Regional NHD Competition at LaGrange College. Students must submit topics in which they are interested by July 23rd. For more information on this year’s NHD theme, due dates, submission requirements, etc., please click here.